The Walt Disney Company Sr Designer in Glendale, California
The Sr. Designer leads and develops creative assets for product and branding style guides that speak to the Disney consumer, resulting in dynamic storytelling products within core franchise brands. The Sr. Designer drives the process, stays current on latest trends for innovative creative solutions and meets with key stakeholders – i.e. Studios, Pixar, Channel, Licensees, vendor and/or retailer through design collaboration. This role is an integral member of the Global Product Development organization for Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products, is based in Glendale, CA, and will report to the Manager, Product Development.
Responsibilities : • The key function of this role is to create Preschool toy products based on Disney Channel content, for example the preschool focused shows of Disney Jr and more broadly, against materials from Disney Classic Franchises.
• Responsible for designing dynamic storytelling products within Disney Preschool Boys and Gender-Neutral franchise brands.
• Will work with licensees to create new and innovative products every season for figures, vehicles and playsets, collectibles, feature plush and role-play.
• The position also requires the candidate to work on developing collectible toy lines, based on Disney Channel and XD properties, working closely with internal teams and licensees.
• Take on “Show to Shelf” creative projects, coming up with new ideas against content that will be airing, for example creating characters and props to help influence content partners.
• Handles product approvals including creative revisions, uploading and downloading to our Online Product Approval site, making detailed and clear comments, and prioritizing approvals within an allotted time. Must be able to multi-task.
• Ensures product design excellence by making character and product corrections, creating new artwork and making artistic contributions to new initiatives.
• Managing multiple design projects, running simultaneously with varying levels of complexity.
• Coordinates with Manager on new projects and scheduled deadlines.
• Applies knowledge of new trends and innovation in marketplace.
• Partner closely with the Product Development, Licensing and Franchise teams to identify business needs and strategize creative solutions.
• Presents and sells ideas to management, cross-functional partners, and licensees.
• Maintain full compliance with corporate guidelines and a commitment to producing work that ensures character and design consistency and integrity.
• Be an ambassador of Disney Jr. and Channel Franchise properties to internal and external groups.
Basic Qualifications :
• Must have 4 – 6 years experience in toy product design, or 3D product design with a strong emphasis on storytelling and characters.
• Ability to lead multiple toy product development projects independently, and manage licensees as a creative champion representing the interests of all key stakeholders
• Hands-on experience with preschool or boys toy product development, licensing business model experience is a plus.
• Understanding of materials for the fabrication of both soft-goods and hard-goods (plastics, fabrics, etc.)
• Extensive knowledge of the preschool boys and gender-neutral toy category including manufacturing techniques & materials technologies.
• Strong drawing skills and ability to create character art and character overlays
• Proficient at toy product design drawing, strong sketching and concepting skills
• Able to develop new, fresh, innovative, ’out-of-the-box’ concepts and translate Disney characters and properties into toys.
• Ability to undertake brainstorming, ideation and research of product concepts independently or within a group.
• Able to clearly communicate and present a vision of their ideas both in formal and informal settings.
• Must possess effective written and oral communication skills.
• Must have time management skills and ability to multitask under tight deadlines
• Be pro-active, can-do attitude, positive, motivated, dynamic, thoughtful and enthusiastic.
• Must be a team player as part of a team a collaborative environment where communication is key.
• Be able to undertake limited domestic travel for onsite product approval with licensees and trade shows.
Required Education :
• Bachelor’s degree in Toy Design, Product Design or Related Field
• Excellence in Photoshop, Illustrator, Keynote or PowerPoint, Microsoft Office Suite, Wacom Cintiq. 3D modeling (Rhino, Solidworks, Z-Brush, Freeform) a plus
Job ID: 552672BR
Job Posting Company: Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media